John 3:16 has been called the gospel in a nutshell—and for good reason. In that one verse we're told all that we need to know for our salvation. God loves us. He sent his son to die for us. Believe it. So why do we need any further statements of belief?
We think it's the best way to do what God has called us to do. Jesus said in Matthew 28:20, 21 "Go and make disciples of all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you." We don't have a generic Jesus, we have a Jesus who said specific things and did specific things. We want to believe and proclaim everything he said and did.
You'll find a summary of our basic beliefs below.
- There is one God, who has revealed himself as the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- Mankind and this world are God’s creation.
- All people, because the first man and woman disobeyed God, are conceived and born in sin and throughout their lives commit sin in thought and word and deed. As a result all people are naturally under God’s condemnation, deserving of eternal punishment.
- God sent his own Son, Jesus Christ, into this world to be the Savior of all people. He satisfied God’s justice by living a perfect life in our place and he suffered the punishment of the world’s sin in his crucifixion and death. He thereby paid for the sins of the world.
- God raised Jesus from the dead, giving us the certainty of our salvation.
- By faith in Jesus as our Savior, we have the forgiveness of all our sins and the sure hope of eternal life.
- At death, believers will go to be with God in heaven.
- Jesus will come back one day to judge the living and the dead and bring an end to this world, taking all who are God’s own by faith in Jesus to live with him forever
Want even more information? Plan to attend one of Living Promise's Built on the Rock Seven Week Bible Information Classes.